1. What happens to the pregnant woman and her husband who are walking next to Arn within the mass exodus of all cities? What lesson does Arn learn from seeing what happens?
2. When the evacuees are finally allowed to stop to set up camp in groups of around a thousand people each, what do Arn and his little sister Sophea discover about the Khmer Rouge’s philosophies when they sneak around listening to the soldiers’ conversations?
3. Why do the Khmer Rouge burn everyone’s clothes and all of their material belongings?
4. What is the significance of the escape from camp by the boy from Arn’s village?
5. What are the signs that lead Arn to think that perhaps the Mango Grove is a mass burial site used by the Khmer Rouge to inter their victims?